Monday, November 3, 2008

My Research

My research paper is basically going to be about fashion. I am comparing and contrasting the similarities between it and the economy. My paper is going to outline the history of fashion, and then I will make my own contributions to the topic from there to make a personal connection as well as to make it more timely. The general thesis is not how the economy influences the fashion industry, but whether or not how fashion in itself is relating to the economy.
I think that I am having the most trouble with my research paper in direction. I have my controlling question and my thesis rolling and everything, but since this is "find, discover, and write" as you go along I'm afraid that I'll completely loose my point somewhere because I lost my connection to fashion from other things in relation to it. Also, perhaps I will loose my footing somewhere in the process because my topic and what I am relating it to (the economy) are too fast paste, and all the recent data on it is too vague to use in my paper. Basically, I think that I am probably just a little paranoid as to what way I want to go with my topic, because I'm sort of iffy about the way I'm choosing.
I believe that people are going to care about fashion because whether we like it or not we live in the world of it. I never was really interested in fashion at first, in fact I could care less about it. But after thinking about it for a while I've discovered that it truly does have a connection with the present economy. As well as it helps people communicate in ways of culture, it individualizes, and it is used as a means of classification. There are so many other reasons for it that I never picked up on at first impression. so in a way the main reason for me to be researching and writing a paper on this topic is to teach myself a little bit of tolerance for things that may seem as trivial as fashion is thought to be at first glance, and hopefully twisting my perspective and my audience as well while researching and making a timely discovery of it on my own.

1 comment:

Kayla C said...

This is an awesome and interesting topic. I really good point to discuss would be fashion during war. I remember learning in history class about during one of the world wars (can't remember which one) women shortened their skirts to save money on fabric, so they would be able to give more to the soldiers who were fighting and from their fashion changed dramatically, but i do not know how timely that topic would be unless you included stuff from the present. Are you going to include any personal experiences? I do not really know what they could be, but it would help you get more of the direction that you wanted, but overall I think your topic is going to keep the interest of its readers.