Saturday, September 27, 2008

Gregg Easterbrook's "The New Fundamentalism"

For me, I think that it is totally fair to be able to question both God and science. It is simple to understand the fact that when John Scopes in 1925 (as Easterbrook explains) was put on trial for "speaking against evolution in a public school" because people were still in the early stages of progressing or evolving into accepting science as a real necessity for education. But for it to be a relevant topic today, to question the right to be inquisitive, is just wrong.
In another example of this masker of the first Amendment, Easterbrook states that the Kansas board of education "voted to delete some requirements for the teaching of evolution". After this "advisory" another one was issued from the Supreme Court that ruled "public schools must not teach creationism because it is effectively a religious doctrine". Both of these contradictions to the evolution of the mind raise questions, which is the only good thing about them. They are practically practicing how not to teach. This is in my opinion unacceptable.
I agree with Easterbrook on the terms that it would be essential to "teach the controversy". Not only because I am a religious person myself and at the same time a scientific/logical thinker (I mean I go to Humboldt State; school of witchcraft and wizardry); but mostly because as God granted the blessing/sin of choice to the creation of man, and science states that in order to disprove theories we must hypothesize, that it is my destiny/right to be inquisitive about one or the other, or even both.
So in the immortal words of Mark Twain (neither God nor Head of the Biology department) "God made the Idiot for practice, and then he made the school board."

1 comment:

Suzanne R said...

Okay, well just abot everyone agreed with Easterbrook, including me, so its kinda hard to comment on someones post with opposing point of view. And just about everyone had the same thing to say. But I kinda like what you said so I thought that I would comment on it. I like that you agree with being ablt to question both evolution and creationism. I thought that if someone believed in God and creation and they were religious then they would be totally against teaching evolution at all. And I thought that those same people would say that people ahoulsnt queation God. I was wrong because what your saying is that its ok to question both evolution and creationism. And thats cool.